Before you read one bit further, I should warn you that this salad was born out of an attempted 2-week commitment to a really, really strict eating regimen – the keto diet.
Strict keto-dieters usually starve themselves all day, before breaking the self-imposed fast with a single avocado, and then a serving of fish. Later, they might eat a handful of macadamia nuts…Then, if they’re feeling indulgent, they’ll down a couple tablespoons of straight butter.
I’m exaggerating – sort of. This salad is a brave attempt at making a keto-friendly meal a bit creative, and palatable. It’s actually really good, and so, so pretty. Not sure if I should describe a salad as creamy, salty, and filling, but it’s all those things – and yet still feels light.
- About a cup of rainbow cauliflower (I get mine frozen, from Trader Joe’s)
- 4 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt & pepper
- 1 salmon fillet, skin-on
- A couple handfuls of baby kale, or mixed greens
- 1/2 avocado
- Juice from 1/2 lemon
- “Everything Bagel” seasoning from Trader Joe’s (If you can’t find it, sub in a pinch of sesame seeds and garlic salt)
- Preheat oven to 450 F. Season cauliflower with salt and pepper, and drizzle with 2 tablespoons olive oil. Spread out onto baking sheet, and set timer for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, season salmon fillet with salt and pepper and about 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil (set aside remaining olive oil to dress salad). Place on a piece of parchment paper or foil. About 8 minutes into the cauliflower bake, put salmon in oven. Bake for remaining 12 minutes, along with cauliflower.
- Remove cauliflower and salmon from oven. Place greens in a bowl. Slice avocado in half, scoop out a few pieces, and place onto greens.
- Break salmon into pieces and place onto the greens along with a handful of the cauliflower.
- Dress with lemon juice, remaining olive oil, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Sprinkle on the bagel seasoning.