Some flavor combos are unexpected and innovative, sort of like pairing your Nikes with your skinny jeans (still not sure where I stand on this). And others are classy and familiar, like pairing your flats with your skinny jeans. This is a salad in the flats + skinny jeans camp.
Lentils + mustard vinaigrette + spring greens feel very French to me. The French often put a basic mustard dressing on greens and serve it as a side or precursor to a crepe or sandwich on a baguette. And it is delicious. Does not get old. That’s how I feel about this dressing. I amped up this salad with cherry tomatoes, artichoke hearts (because I am addicted) and HB egg, which makes any salad feel just a little more satisfying (plus eggs are a cheap and easy source of protein). It would also be great with the addition of cornichons or capers, anything acidic but not overpowering. I think this salad is best kept as is: simple, classy and not requiring too much thought.
- One large handful spring greens (baby spinach would work well too)
- 1/4 cup cooked lentils
- a few canned artichoke hearts
- 1/4 small red onion, sliced and soaked in vinegar
- 1 hard-boiled egg
- a few cherry tomatoes
- salt and pepper to taste
For the dressing: (makes more than enough for 1 salad)
- 2 heaping teaspoons of dijon mustard
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Soak red onion in vinegar if you haven’t yet (this will cut the bite). Toss all salad ingredients together, except for HB egg. Half egg and place on top.
- Make dressing: shake all the ingredients together in a jar to emulsify. Drizzle a couple tablespoons on top of your salad and save the rest for a different day, a different lunch.
Makes a petite salad for 1.