What is it about the allure of coffee shops, and their ability to make people like me spend most of my food budget on espresso and almond milk? I don’t think twice about spending four dollars on an iced mocha, but I refuse to spend ten dollars on dinner.
I see a cafe and I think, there must be some reason I need to go in- caffeine…wifi…an escape from an errand I don’t want to run. My habit could also have something to do with paying for real estate at the shop- I buy a drink in exchange for a few hours of workspace outside of the office.
Anyway, it’s getting out of control, so I need to figure out a way to make coffee drinks so good at home that I’m not tempted by the smiling white and green mermaid.
I’m a fan of most alternative milks, but a lot of them end up tasting sort of the same. Enter hemp milk. It’s super creamy and even sort of malty. And it’s good for you- it’s a source of omega-3s, fatty acids found in foods like salmon, chia and flax.
I blend hot hemp milk with coffee and honey (the Turkish honey from Trader Joe’s is insanely good) until it’s light and foamy, flavor it with a bit of vanilla and sea salt, pour it into a glass mug, and drizzle more honey on top- because more honey never hurt anybody.
It’s not technically a latte (it doesn’t contain espresso), but this blender-revelation has probably saved me about twenty bucks a week. And honestly, my DIY lattes are better than what I buy (sorry Starbucks).
The hemp and honey latte is especially satisfying and has the thickest, most spoonable foam you’ve ever seen on a coffee drink. It’s sweet, earthy and rich enough to be breakfast on its own. You can also try different kinds of milk- some froth more than others (almond, yes; coconut, no), and alternative sweeteners- maple syrup, agave, coconut sugar (or just plain sugar).
Be your own barista and save some cash this week.
- 1 cup unsweetened hemp milk
- 1/2 cup-1 cup freshly brewed coffee
- 2 tablespoons runny honey, plus extra to drizzle
- pinch of sea salt
- dash of vanilla extract
- Prepare the coffee (I usually make a pour-over at home). Heat the hemp milk in a small saucepan or microwave until it’s barely frothy (don’t let it overflow!).
- Blend coffee and hot hemp milk in a blender. While it’s running, drizzle in honey and add in salt and vanilla. Blend for 10 to 20 seconds, depending on how much froth you’re going for.
- Pour into a mug, drizzle extra honey on top and enjoy your four dollar latte for free.
One thought on “Hemp and honey latte”
This is the first time that I heard about hemp milk! Your recipe looks so good, I need to find hemp milk soon! 🙂